Monday, April 02, 2012

Bits and Pieces...
I have been sewing but I can't show you and photo's yet until the parcels are received...
this is the parcel sent to my online partner in the Easter Swap hosted by Maree
 once the parcel is in her hot little hands I can post a photo....
and this next photo... talk about ''funniest photo competition''
this is my dog Joe's (RIP) brother Junior...
 do you think he was a little hot... not sure how he was balancing so well
I ran to get the camera and thought he would have fallen over or got out before I got back...
 I did some baking yesterday... a friend gave me a shopping bag full of passionfruit... I scooped the pulp out of half of them and frozen that and Hubby and I have been eating our way through the rest but not quick enough... I needed to use some of them up so a Vanilla Slice was in order...
 I have never made one before...
 I searched through some school recipe books and found one using soa crackers
easy peasy as I had some of them... surely that would be less calories than pastry????
its very moreish hahaha
Vanilla Slice
1 packet sao crackers
4 cups milk
4 level tbsp sugar (I used 3)
4 good heaped tbsp custard powder
1 heaped tbsp butter (I used 1/2)
1 tsp vanilla essence
passionfruit icing
Cover the base of a slab tin with a single layer of the soa crackers, when cutting these to fit the tin use a serrated edged knife to prevent breaking. Pour 31/2 cups of the milk into a saucepan, add sugar, place over a low heat.
Mix custard powder with remaining 1/2 cup of milk and stir until a smooth paste, add to the saucepan and stir constantly until thick and smooth.
Remove from heat add butter and vanilla essence and beat well with a wooden spoon.
Cool slightly then pour over the layer of sao crackers.
Cover custard with another layer of sao crackers, pushing them down slightly into the custard.
Make passionfruit icing and pour over biscuits.
Chill before cutting... keep in the fridge.
Passionfruit Icing
Mix well 2 cups icing sugar, 1heaped tsp butter, 1 large passionfruit (I used 3 then I didn't have to use any other moisture)
Beat in sufficient milk to make and easy workable spreading consistency.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:22 AM

    pretty lot of parcels there Tarnyia,how funny is your puppy,thats one of the funniest things i have ever seen,lol,yummy thankyou for the recipe Tarnyia i will need to make this,lol.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:22 AM

    forgot congrats on your win at Michelle's.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The parcels look enticing and that vanilla slice looks just way tooooooo tempting!!!! But your old pal in the bucket just cracks me up - bless his soggy toes - I hope you bought him a paddle pool after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL just loved the photo of Junior.
    It's unbeleivable how he managed to balance in that bucket.
    Oh yum the Vanilla Slice looks great.
    Lucky Maree,lots of lovely parcels.

    ReplyDelete