Monday, July 18, 2011

On Saturday...
Well what did we do on a cold wet day???? well we went to our neighbour property and sat at one of their windmills for 7 hours in the cold and wet and mud and occasional shower... why you ask???... don't worry as I did ask myself that as well especially when I don't do cold weather very well...
Our neighbour (bless her heart and lucky we like them) is into ''endurance racing'' with horses (which is another thing I don't do ''horses'') (lucky I like her)...  they held one of these last year and had about 20 odd horses and riders... this year they had 60 horses???? so well done for the neighbours just a pity it was crappy weather and so wet... we were lucky to have some others at our check point with us and they were wonderful company and the two little girls kept us entertained... I don't know much about this endurance racing thingy... I do know that it is all about the horse and the fitness of the horse when vet checked at the end of the race or you are disqualified if the heart rate is over 55 beats and the horse mustn't be lame... the leader did get disqualified and so did the last two riders as they came in over time... apparently you MUST finish with in a time frame... there was 3 stages 20km ride... 40km ride and 80km ride... you can only do the 80km after the horse is vet checked at the 40km... so I did take some photo's
I did say it was cold and wet... so was the wood and we needed a fire... a big ragging one
with out it we wouldn't have had a very nice day plus the little girls had to roast their marshmallows...

the first rider on our checkpoint... we had to take their number and the time they arrived then it was radioed into bass...

food and water is provided for the horses...
while waiting for our last horses to get to the next check point the sun was going down and this tree was looking like it was on fire as the sun was capturing the light in the bark

this was as good as I could get as the sun was right in my camera... the tree is a Minerichea... not sure on the spelling will change it later when I find out...
back at he station homestead I went for a walk around the riders camps... WOW they are pretty organised



and on they way over to our neighbours we saw our cows in for a drink

that was my Saturday....

7 comments:

  1. Pity about the rain but it looks like a great event..... I'm not 'horsey' knowledgeable but they are beautiful animals...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:11 AM

    bet you are glad its over for another year,lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos...I felt chilly just reading about that....I can't ride but I do love horses and admire those who do it so well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great family you are to do that for someone, looks cold and brrr! but it must have been fun watching the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hmm .. watching horses .. now that is like watching the grass grow .. haha ... good for you T .. and it sounds just like you ... going to help out with the neighbours ... and it looked cold too .. great pics .. they certainly made me feel like i was there ... only it is warmer here .. inside ..
    thanks for sharing .. oh . and i do like horses .. and yes enough to sit out in the cold and wind all day watching them ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great neighbourly thing to do,just typical of the Australia bush, always available to help each other out, winter this year is extra miserable but the fire and the marshmallows would certainly have helped. Cheers Pat.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what fun that would be. I don't do horses either, but I do own a horse but have yet to put my butt in the saddle and go...

    To bad that the weather was not so good... But one thing I know about the horse people nothing stops them...My next year be better.

    ReplyDelete